Biotechnology in Medical Sciences
by Firdos Alam Khan
As the field of medical biotechnology grows with new products and discoveries, so does the need for a holistic view of biotechnology in medicine. Biotechnology in Medical Sciences fulfills that need by delivering a detailed overview of medical biotechnology as it relates to human diseases and epidemiology, bacteriology and antibiotics, virology and vaccines, immunology and monoclonal antibodies, recombinant DNA technology and therapeutic proteins, stem cell technology, tissue engineering, molecular diagnostics and forensic science, gene therapy, synthetic biology and nanomedicine, pharmacogenomics, bioethics, biobusiness and intellectual property rights, and career opportunities.
Organized to follow the chronology of major medical biotechnology research, breakthroughs, and events, this first-of-its-kind text:
- Covers all aspects of medical biotechnology, from labs to clinics and basic to advanced applications
- Describes historical perspectives and modern discoveries in medical biotechnology
- Explains how various biotechnology products are used to treat and prevent disease
- Discusses the tools and techniques currently employed in medical biotechnology
- Includes a bibliography at the end of each chapter to encourage further study
Complete with colorful illustrations and examples, Biotechnology in Medical Sciences provides a comprehensive yet accessible treatment of this growing field.